Wednesday, December 1, 2010

(un)Learning

Most of the time, school doesn't seem worth it.

Don't trust your school books.
They don't teach you that, but
they do teach you to learn by heart.

Only a severely bad learning method, if the things you've spent years memorising need to be spent unlearning after graduation day.

When learning a new language, even if the goal is to learn how to speak and write in a grammatically correct way, I see no excuse for blatantly misdefining words, even - especially - the ones of which we're already supposed to know the meaning.

If we're already assumed to know the definition, it surely isn't demanding too much of us to assume we can handle sentences elaborate enough to explain it correctly?

Really, the only way to pass the time is to participate, but even then your nightmare of a teacher constantly turns their back on you to bug the one student who hasn't even bothered buying the course book.

This one goes out to my mother who bothered investing in private teachers.
This one goes out to all my foreign teachers, who knew what they were doing, even when I had no clue.
This one goes out to all the friends, strangers, people I've never even met, who have taught me, keep teaching me and will teach me what school never can.

This one goes out to myself, who was dumb enough not to question and fight against the good life.

No comments: